Sunday, December 20, 2009

Update on Gram

Thank you all so much for your sweet calls/text/comments/thoughts/prayers...everything. Everyone has been so sweet to my family.
A lot has happened in the last week. My grandma was really sick on Thursday, so my mom and Aunt called 911 to take her back to the hospital.
The last couple of weeks she has gone down hill fast. She was so independent...driving to Heber to visit her son, and taking her friends to lunch, just about 6 weeks ago. Now she cant walk, her speech is super slurred, and her memory fading fast. They suspected she may have had a stroke, but after doing a few tests at the hospital, we found out Friday she had 2 brain tumors.
After the oncologist looked into her scans further, noticed it was eating away at the bone, and working its way into the brain.
This of course, was devastating to us all. Total punch in the gut. This weekend has been very hard on our family as we had to decide by today if she was going to have surgery tomorrow to remove one of the tumors (the size of a lemon) or give her "comfort care" for the rest of her time with us.
The weekend has been the LONGEST as we have all had different opinions and thoughts. Finally, my aunt went to my grandma and asked her if she was ready to visit her brother and sister in heaven....and her response "Im not ready". Anyone who knows my Gram, knows she is a fighter.
So tomorrow, my 87 year old grandma is going in for brain surgery. This was her choice, and we are supporting her. It is going to be very extensive as they have to take out part of her brain and skull and remove the one tumor.
She continues to amaze all of us as she fights for her life. I love her so much and hope and pray all goes well. I guess you just have to trust all is in Gods hands.
Thanks again for all your love, support, and prayers. It means a lot to us all.

7 comments:

Momma Fish said...

I am so sorry to hear that Chelsea. I'm praing for her.

Janaca said...

Chels that is so scary!! I hope and pray that the surgery will go well for her today. I was totally shocked when I read that she had two tumors! Life can sure change fast for any of us. I will be thinking about you and your sweet family today. Love ya!!

AP said...

You are all in our thoughts and prayers. Know that we love you, and keep us posted. We're here if you need anything at all.

Shawn and Kailey Ames said...

I hope everything goes well, I am always thinking about you, and I am always here for you!

Tashina said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandma's surgery. I hope that all went well, and we will keep your family in our prayers!

Ally said...

i am so sorry for you, your family and your gram. what a scary time. how did it go? i will keep her in my thoughts!

Annalee said...

Hey Chels- Grandmas are seriously the best and the worst is getting old. I hope that her surgery went well. I too am close to my grandma and am sorry she is not doing so well. My thoughts are prayers are with you cute girl. I love that she "isn't ready yet". That is a great outlook on life. I hope that you can find peace with your grandmas situation and that you have a Merry Christmas. xoxo