Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Shamu! Shamu!

A couple weekends ago my good friend from college got married in San Diego. We thought it would be a great chance to see an old friend and have a mini vaca!
Russ has a friend from college as well that lives in Carlsbad right next to the ocean so he was nice enough to let us crash there!
We flew in Thursday night after work, rented a car and headed to Carlsbad. We didnt get in until about midnight and Russ was up with his friend at 5 AM to surf.
Russ's friend Rob is a dentist and there was a dentist convention there that weekend so there were 4 other friends of Robs that were also staying there for the convention. It was a full house! But so fun. I spent 3 nights on a love seat, but who can complain when its free?! And literally right across from the ocean.
After Russ got back from surfing we went and had a delicious breakfast and headed to the beach.

We spent the day at the beach and then went back and got ready for the wedding.
Tags and his new beautiful wife Star.

They had a delicious dinner and beautiful reception!
Tags had another friend from Utah that came that I also went to Utah State with so he sat us at the same table. It was fun to catch up him.

The happy couple got married in the San Diego temple. The unfortunate thing is..it was COMPLETELY covered in scaffolding. I couldnt believe. We had heard from Rob (Russ's friend) that it had some scaffolding on it, but we didnt think it was covering every square inch!

Congrats anyway, to the happy couple. And thanks for inviting us!
We went back to Rob and his wife's house and as we were getting out of the car I noticed his neighbors backyard looked like a fairy tail. The picture didnt turn out well, but doesnt it look kinda fun?

The next morning Russ got up once again to surf, he came back, we had another delicious breakfast and went to Sea World! I was so excited, Russ hadnt been there since he was a young lad and I have always loved sea creatures so it was a good time!
Holy crap there are a lot of people that love Sea World too.
Look at how amazing these large animals are!

There was a show that was kind of a spoof on all the other corny shows. I thought it was hilarious. The walrus were making fun of all the dolphin and Shamu shows. I laughed hard.

We saw my very favorite kind of whales, the Beluga! I dont know why, but I sure love them.

We saw some funky lookin fish

Pet some Ray's ( I have no idea why this picture wont turn. Ive tried twice)

And watched them throw dough at the windows and watched the polar bears lick it off.

I was also reminded why sharks are a titch intimidating.

That night we went back and had some delicious pizza, and met the gang for a nice walk to Cold Stone.
We then went back to their house and watched the USA world cup game they had recorded earlier that day. Such a bummer USA.
Speaking of the World Cup, my boss was being pretty dang awesome the other day and let us watch the Uruguay -Ghana game...holy smokes. Best game ever.
The next morning..same drill..Russ got up early and surfed, and we went for the very best breakfast of all! 5 words people..Banana Nut Crunch French Toast. They literally
roll the toast in the egg mixture and crushed up banana nut crunch cereal. Amazing.

Im going to try it at home. Wish me bad luck..because if it works, its going to be bad news. I will eat that all the time.
After our breakfast we went for a bike ride on the beach cruisers. I want one. I wish it made sense to have one in Utah.
We took a nice little ride along the coast a few blocks.

I could see a boardwalk in the distance and wanted to ride our bikes to it. Russ was a little hesitant, and now I know why. It was a LONG bike ride. We peddled our little hearts out though. Our bikes had some issues that made the long bike ride even funnier...every time I hit a bump my seat would lean WAY forward, and Russ handle bars kept falling low as well. It made me laugh.
If you look at the far right of this picture you can see a smoke stack. That's where we started.

We met up with the group that wanted to give the paddle boards a try.
It was a ton of fun. I sucked at it, but it was so fun! I want to try it again. Dang, Utah needs an ocean so bad!


Then we drove to La Jolla. I love it there. It was so beautiful. We went to the seal beach where the seals rest.
You would never know, but there is a bunch of cute little seals sleeping behind us..thanks anyway though to the person who took the picture.

This one was my favorite. He was stretching all cute


Such a fun trip! I was glad we were able to cram as much as we did into a short weekend. We went to bed pretty late that night and had to get up at 4 AM the next morning to catch our flight, but it was worth it! Congrats again to Tags and Star, thanks for getting married so we could come to San Diego :)

PS. Am I the only one that thinks the new blogger layout is kinda tricky?

7 comments:

Janaca said...

Another fun trip for you!! Looks like a blast. You guys did pack in a lot! That's too bad the temple was all covered up like that. Cute pics!

Janaca said...

Oh, and I was bummed we didn't get to see you at the 4th parade again this year! We were up in Idaho for a reunion and didn't make it. I really wanted to see ya!!

Alex and Kerri said...

I can't figure out the new blogger stuff, and I was stupid enough to try out their new design layouts...too bad they don't mention that you can't take them back off again :-( Oh well.

Your trip sounds like tons of fun. I'm amazed at how much stuff you do!

The Lunts said...

Chels! Long time no talk! I love reading you blog! Your soooo cute!! My hubby and I are way into paddel boarding! There is a little group here that rents them out, I have not been here but my hubby has a couple time and says its still fun here!! haha just thought I would let ya know!

Brittany said...

What a fun weekend! I love beach cruisers. You should move to Florida, you can ride them everywhere here. I'm super jealous you tried paddle boarding. I keep saying I'm going to do it and haven't.
P.S. You're gorgeous!

HUGHES FAMILY said...

I'm glad you guys had so much fun! You and Russ are so cute together! We all need to get together...hey! la Jolla is where Blake and Mandi had their first kiss. Ha ha : )

Jeana Bird said...

This looks like a fun trip. I love your posts (the beach cruisers had me laughing as did the picture with out seals in it). Glad you guys had a fun time.