Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Sole Sisters!

Well, we did it!
The middle of June my sister Kaysie and & I completed the Bear Lake half marathon. Yahoo!
What a fun thing.
My family rented a condo and have a fun weekend get together for the occasion.
The morning of the race, my wonderful boyfriend (Now fiance) got up at the buttcrack of dawn to make us breakfast. Now if any of you know Russ, he HATES getting up early. So when he voluntarily woke up to make us breakfast I thought it was very sweet.
Getting ready to leave! Look at these super cute shirts my sister made us.

Our cute chef

Our wonderful mom also got up at early to wish us luck and take us to the buses.
I couldnt believe when we hopped on the bus and it kept driving, and driving and driving. I didnt train too well, and never did run a full 13 miles before the race. Sheesh, that is FAR!
The bus dropped us off and it had been raining the night before so it was a bit chilly.
Kays and I stayed together for almost the whole race. We were always close enough to see each other through the whole thing. The first 4 or 5 miles, I felt GREAT. I was running faster then I normally would, and then hit the dirt road we had to run for a mile. Because of the rain it was solid mud! After already running for 5 miles and then hitting mud, it was hard!
Running next to the lake was a beautiful thing though.
13.1 is a long way for a non runner. Just as I was about to the point I was feeling pretty exhausted, my amazing family and boyfriend drove by, honking, yelling and taking our pictures to push us along (We had about 3 miles left).






I had been running along with this other girl, and she would pass me, and then I would pass her, and we would always cheer each other on as the other would pass.
At one point we were running along side each other when my family passed, and she made mention of what great supporters they were.
The next 3 miles were the most brutal of them all. Take note, if you are ever going to run a half marathon, make the time to really train!
Just as I was FINALLY making the round to come to the finish line, you can hear the loudest crowd and see them all spread out..of course, the awesome fam!
I will brag and say my family was by far the loudest cheering squad there.

Crossing the finish line



I loved the cute signs the kids made.

Later, Kays and I were in line to get some fruit and the girl I had been running with said "I knew when you were crossing the line, because your family was the loudest!" haha, I thought that was funny.
Thanks for the support Fam.



Mei like my medal

Such a great time!

The rest of our weekend we had a delicious pizza, attempted to swim but it was still to early in the year so freezing, played a little Frisbee and had races down the streets of Bear Lake. My team killed it.





We literally were pedalling our hearts out. Most of the time you see families taking a leisurely stroll on those bikes, nope, not our family. We were tearing around the corners, cutting each other off, trying to hit all the water puddles. It was awesome.
These crazy cats even had matching bruises. Im sad I waited until the end of the weekend until Russ's was fading.

Great weekend, and good feeling of accomplishment. I guess I can cross that off the bucket list!

3 comments:

Tyanna said...

I know I've said this before, but I think your family is THE CUTEST!! I love how much you all love and support each other...Russ is lucky to marry in to such a fun family. Are you getting excited for the big day?? I am so happy for you.

Kateka said...

The picture of you and your niece sitting on the grass (with her admiring your medal) is adorable. I love it. You make me want to run a 1/2. I ran the Logan marathon when I was 19, and the most I had trained before that race was 11 miles. Yikes. It's all mental, don't you think? Like mentally pushing yourself is harder than physically pushing yourself.

Janaca said...

You do have one amazing family!! :) Glad you had so many supporters. Looks like such a great time! You're amazing for running that far. I don't know if I could ever do it! Love the shirts too, so cute!