Monday, June 7, 2010

You & me go fishin' in the dark...

We actually didnt do any fishing this Memorial day, but that was definately the theme of the trip.
For memorial day a group of us went down by Escalante for some camping and hiking.
Russ & I drove down with his friend Dan. It was fun getting to know him and listen to boys talk...holy cow, its funny listening to guy talk.
We got to the camp site around midnight and I had my first experience wearing a head lamp. I liked it.
The next morning we started out for a 12 mile hike! Im not a huge hiker so I was a bit nervous I wouldnt be able to keep up.
Good thing Ive been playing on a couple soccer teams! I would have been toast!
The group was great, the scenery was awesome, and it was so nice to have some warm weather!
The start of the hike

Here it goes!

We started out the hike as a group, but stopped at a stream. Russ left his sunglasses at the water so we went back and ended up walked a few hours behind the group. It was fun to hang out and go at out own pace!
Some pictures from the hike:



We walked a lot of the hike through water. It was so nice during a hot day to walk in some cool water! There were beautiful water falls through out the hike and a ton of lizards, some we even gave names.

Russ filled up his water bottle in a fresh stream


We met up with the rest of the group under a beautiful arch for lunch.

I thought this was a great picture Russ took of this lil critter walking on the sand

Russ's friend came up with a funny game. Stand up against the rock, eyes closed and wait for a water filled nerf football to fall and see who it hits!
Someone would stand in front of the group, and through it up high and wait for it to hit someone...crazy you might think, but it was hilarious to watch.

We found this cool tree stump that was hanging in the air like on the movie Dirty Dancing.

That night we had a delicious dinner around the fire, as well as a noisy night full of angry cows waking us up in our sleep.
The next morning, we all woke up a little store! So why not a little yoga in the dessert?

After yoga, we went to some slot canyons.

The slot canyons were awesome! There were some tight squeezes but it was so beautiful!

Group shot

It was a super hot day, so half of us went an hr away to a little river to swim.
The water was freezing and I didnt get any pictures but it was so nice after spending 2 days in the middle of the dessert!
That night we had yummy dutch over fajitas and Russ became the king of the camp out by starting a huge fire and then jumping over it!

The next morning we hung out at camp and started the 7 hr drive home.
We stopped at a cool look out for a picture.
It was crazy to go from hot hot desert to snow!

It was a nice Memorial Day. The whole drive home we just listened to music and it gave me a good chance to think of my family that has passed, especially the last couple months.
I hope everyone had a good safe Memorial Day!

7 comments:

Annie said...

Sounds like you had lots of fun! I LOVE the dirty dancing pic!!!! I can't believe how long your hair is. The picture at the very end is so cute as well. Love ya!

Kateka said...

Holy cow, this looks like so much fun. I am stunned the whole group did yoga. I love it.

Momma Fish said...

Fun, fun fun.

Jadie said...

If the Slot Canyon had some "tight squeezes" for YOU.... I would be so screwed. Thanks for the heads up! Ha Ha

Love ya,
Jadie

Janaca said...

What a great trip! You truly seem to enjoy life to the fullest. I love seeing your adventures!

Tyanna said...

Oh to be a fun couple that can still go do fun outings like this any given weekend!!! Looks like you had tons of fun to boot....and, Yoga in the desert???? I want to hang out with these people too!! You look happy Chels--and that's just perfect because you deserve every single bit of happiness there is to have.

HUGHES FAMILY said...

Chubs! It looks like fun! I love that you woke up to angry cows...reminds me of a time with you...camping...and "angry bear" running toward us...you and I jump in a jeep only to discover that it was a cow...we were happy no one witnessed us... : ) So many good memories with you Chels! Love ya!