Monday, March 1, 2010

Mission Impossible..but complete

Well I just made it back from the most amazing trip of my life!
Thailand was INCREDIBLE. There is no other way to describe it.
I took a bazillion pictures, so I will have to post about the trip maybe over the weekend when I have a little more time. I had the time of my life :)
A lot of you have been so sweet to ask about my photo with my Grams skirt and the temple so I thought I would post about that until I have time to blog about the whole trip.
We flew into Bangkok around midnight and headed straight to the hotel. After a HOT (couldnt figure out AC) sleepless night we woke up the next morning to go find the temple!
The Royal Palace was jammed pack full of people due to Chinese New Year, but it was still incredible (Ill post more pictures later).
I slipped on that blue skirt, which fit like a glove and headed out to find that temple!! I was SO excited.
Before I left I printed out a picture so I could find the EXACT spot and pose just like her. Where could it be?
This place was huge! It was like a whole block just full of temples and other amazing palaces. I searched and searched and couldnt find it. I walked up to a Thai guard and showed him the pictures and shrugged my shoulders to gesture I needed help finding it. He pointed to an area and to my sad sad sad surprise this is what I found...

I could see the exact spot she was standing! But I couldnt get to it :(
If you look through all the scafolding you can see the bench that is behind her in her picture. So close!

Im normally not an emotional girl...ah who am I kidding, I am..I wanted to cry my eyes out. I was SO close and come all this way and had her skirt. So I did the best I could, and kept my tears in and thought how lucky I was to be in at least the same area as her.
Here we are! Sorry, I cant figure out how to put our pictures side by side.

13 comments:

Amy Dayton said...

Oh Chels- that is such a great story. I'm so sorry it didn't work out exactly like you had hoped, but I still think it is amazing! Can't wait to hear more about your vacation!

Kateka said...

Welcome home! I was actually thinking of you this morning wondering if you'd be home soon.

I love the picture idea. I hope when you have kids, they try to recreate the same picture one day.

Jadie said...

I'm so sorry you couldn't get it EXACT but what an amazing job you did! I love the blue skirt!
I'm glad you like the tile... I'm looking forward to the HUGE hug!
I'm happy your home SAFE, I love you!

Barlow Fam said...

What a cool thing to be able to do. I am so sorry you couldn't get closer. What a fun trip can't wait to hear more about it..

Leslie said...

TOO cool. I would have burst into tears right then and there...but you did get to be there with her in spirit...and your pics look pretty much the same! Can't wait to hear about your fun trip!!!

Tashina said...

Sorry you couldn't get to the exact spot, but look how close you came! Maybe you will have to go back to Thailand and try again? :) I'm glad you had such a great trip, I can't wait to see all your pics!

HUGHES FAMILY said...

Wow Chels...that's awesome you were able to make it there. I bet you were able to feel like she was right there with you! I'm sure she's watching over you and is with you on all your travels! I'm glad you're back...now I need to see you and to hear all about your trip. Love ya!

kollers said...

Chels!!!! I love it! You are so awesome! What a bummer about the scaffolding! Those fools should have known you were coming. What an awesome pic though. I seriously can't wait to hear all about it! So glad your home!

Janaca said...

Glad you're home! That's still an amazing job of finding the same place and taking that picture! Darn construction, it's everywhere! They look very similar though. Can't wait to hear more of your amazing vacation!

MEGandJEFF said...

Yay! You're back!! That is a great story..I love that you got the picture :) It's like a storybook story :)

Heidi Henderson said...

That's way cool... and just think... your daughter will do that some day too! :) How cool is that! And if you need help putting the pictures next to each other, let me know :)

Niesha said...

AWESOME!!!! what a cool memory~

Tim Campbell said...

Chels
You are an angel and there are angels inside you, going right up the line. Spot or no spot, they are smiling with wonder no matter where you are, and so glad you paid this homage. Hugs from Uncle Tim