Saturday, March 13, 2010

Thailand-Pai & Mae Hong Son

After a full day in Bangkok I slept like a baby that night...well until 4 AM when our taxi came to get us to take us to the airport.
We were off to Chiang Mai! We got out back packs already and headed down to the street to catch our ride. We had bought our flights the day before, and we were on such a time schedule, because we had so much to see in 17 days! We get to the airport, the cabi drops us off and we go inside to check in. Our flight left at like 6 AM. We couldnt find the airline we booked our tickets through, when finally we realized, there are 2 airports in Bangkok. The other one...40 min away.
So I grab our stuff and ran as fast as we could to the streets to find another taxi. The little English he understands, we are trying to make sure he understood 2 words..Drive fast!
I dont know how we did it, but we made it. We were running as fast as we could to the gate and by some miracle made it.
It was just a quick one hr plane ride up north.We got off the plane and I was starving! But, we had a bus to catch to get to our final destination..Pai. There were 7-11 everywhere in Thailand. We couldnt find anywhere near the bus terminal that had breakfast foods so we headed into 7-11. I dont know what we were thinking but we bought a lot of junk. Russ decided to buy this Rice Burger..

I LOVE burgers. But that was quite possible one of the grossest things Ive ever eaten.I got this hot ham cheese sandwhich, if you could call it that. And then on our way out we found a little stand with fried bananas. YUM.
The reason Im telling you what we ate is because I had no idea we were about to take the windiest road Ive ever been on for 4 hrs.
A spicy somewhat of a burger, and fried bananas do not go well will a road with 5 million sharp turns.
I was sitting in the back with the 2 munks that were in my burger picture and it was not good news.
I tried to sleep so I could keep myself pulled together and when I woke up to Pai, was still sick for hrs. The most car sick Ive ever been. But we were there!

Pai is the coolest little Thai hippy town. I loved it.
We went walked to the first place we found and luckily they had Bungalows available right on the river.


I cant remember for sure but I believe they were $18 a night, so super cheap.
Russ actually got sick too, so we werent up for much.
We went and got an ice cream cone (so good!) and went down by the river to cool off and try and kick the car sick feeling.

It was, like Ive mentioned already, really hot. Which I really enjoy. It felt so good to sit and hang our legs in the water.

I love this picture with the Umbrella and tubes.



There was a little bar behind us playing the best music ever. It was American music and I loved every song they played. It was nice to eat our ice cream, cool off and listen to some sweet tunes.
By night time we were feeling so much better.
We had dinner that night, which we think was the best thai food of the whole trip. We went all out, and our meal was $6 TOTAL. It almost feels like you are ripping them off. Oh man it was good.
I threw away my ugly brown outfit I flew in which was my only sweatshirt, and since we were up north it was cooler. So I bought a sweater from this awesome dogs owner.

Side note...but I think I want to buy one of those huge poodles. I think Ecko needs a friend, and I cant look at a poodle without laughing. I think they are hilarious.
Some cool food they were selling

I bought a strand of these lights and I am SO in love. They are kind of woven and look so cute lit up. I found them online from Thailand but I would have to buy a million of them. Anyone want some lights? I will take a picture of them in my room so you can see how cute :)

What do you think of my new Daisy Fuentas sweater? I was laughing so hard that night when I got home and saw the tag. I thought it would be in Thai or something..nope. Daisey Fuentas. You will see a whole lot of that sweater this trip.
The next morning we got up, and asked the Bungalow people if they would hold our bags for night. They were very kind and said they would.
So we packed a small bag, and went to rent some scooters for a trip to Mae Hong Son. We wanted to see the long neck village. ( That sounds so mean, but thats what its called!).
I seriously couldnt be happier with my scooter. Just look at it!

The nice man at the bungalows took this photo of both of us before we left for our awesome scooter journey.

We stopped and had the most amazing breakfast and started the treck.
I dont think either of us knew what we were in for. First of all, I think it was one of my (our) favorite parts of the trip. We were up north, so no traffic like in the city. It felt like we were in a movie, driving past all the rice patty fields, and villiages. We stopped just a little into the trip and took out our Ipods and just listened to music while we cruised the Thai country side. AWESOME.
However, it was like a steep steep curvy canyon. Not made for rental scooters. Mine wsa fast and like a champion. He kept making fun of my pink scooter, but I said laugh all you want as me and my Hello Kitty floor pads passed him up on the hills.
Here are a few pictures from our 5 hr journey. Thats right, 5 hrs on a scooter and it was so great.


Yep, check out that rode. My scooter handled it like a champ.

A villiage along the way

A pretty field, and baby pigs!


I want to go to school here..




I thought this was great. Its a park, and all those little huts are like picnic tables.

We were hoping to make it to the Long neck villiage that night, but it was dark by the time we made it to Mae Hong Son. So we got another cheap Bungalow and went to dinner and went to an internet cafe to catch up on some emails and figure out where we would be going next.
This is kind of a funny story. Russ and I both love Thai food. In Thailand, you can order dessert, appetizers, whatever..and they will just bring it out whenever its ready. Instead of order here like Appetizers first, bring entres at the same time etc. So I ordered soup, and Russ ordered a spicy curry and we were just going to share. Well they bring out this bowl of goodness with 2 seperate bowls. So we dish it up and start eating what we thought was soup. It was so hot, but so good. I couldnt take it anymore, my lips were BURNING. Russ was like "what do you think?" and I said ,"uh, its good, a little spicy but good". Then they bring out the soup. Oh..oops. Yep, we were eating the Spicy curry that was intended to go on rice, as soup! We were laughing so hard. I think my lips were on fire the rest of the night. The Kings of Leon song "Sex on Fire" came to mind and all night long I was singing "My lips are on fire".
Thai lesson number 1:
Curry is not intended to be eaten as soup. Especially spicy spicy curry.

Tomorrow...Long Neck villiage, I could hardly wait!

2 comments:

Ally said...

I love these pictures. It really makes me want to go there! I am so happy that you got to go!

Kateka said...

I am loving this. I feel like I am reading a book. I can't wait to read the next chapter! Ha, ha, that sounds so corny (but it seriously true :)