Sunday, July 13, 2008

Grandma & Grandpa Kemp

This weekend was a really fun/emotional time. My grandma and granpas house that my dad and his sisters, and in later years me and my cousins grew up in has been sold.
It is going to be so hard to see the house go. Not only has it been sold, but it will be torn down in the next couple of months.
This house holds SO many memories. I could go on and on about my grandma and grandpa and that house. My grandpa died about 5 years ago on this September 11 and my grandma died on Christmas Eve of 2006. Their house has a big beautiful yard that was just too hard for everyone to keep up. Its going to be so sad to see that house go but I am so happy for the millions of memories I have at that house.
For the past year or so all my dad and his sisters have fairly drawn for certain items in the house. This weekend we took everything out of the house and the grandkids were able to draw for some items. Here are a few treasures we got!
Left To Right- Kaysie got a cool piece of pottery, Julie got a sweet mug with a bonus, grandpas glasses! Ashley got grandpas homemade money holder for his travels and I got another sweet pottery piece and grandpas winter hat!




We roasted hot dogs and smores..



And sat around the fire telling our favorite stories of the house and our grandparents...

We stayed up late as 2:00 AM rolled around we had our last family sleep over in the back yard

I think our family is incredibly lucky for how close we all grew up. Our aunts were like moms to us,and our cousins like brothers and sisters. Someone once joked that our family got together 364 days of the year. I wouldnt have traded it for anything.






My top 10 favorite things about Grandma, Grandpa and that house
*Grandmas rice pudding
*Grandpa taking me ice skating
*4th of July sleepovers and grandpa waking up singing and dancing in his PJ's
*Sleep overs with Merz
*Golfing in the back yard
*Picking raspberries from the garden
*Grandmas famous brown bowl filled with a little something for everyone
*Playing cards with grandma eating wheat toast
*Christmas in the front living room and bugging the parents in the back living room
*All the traditions they passed down to us

8 comments:

Janaca said...

That's sad about their house! I had a hard time when my grandparents moved from the house where my dad and his family grew up. It's sad to see those things go, but at least you have the memories. That's cool your extended family is all so close!

Melissa said...

That is tough! I can't imagine how I will feel if my grandma's house is ever sold. So many memories! That is so cool how your extended family is so close. It reminds me a lot of my family!

AP said...

Such a perfect post! Great pictures, too. It was so much fun to see you guys--let's not wait so long next time!

Ally said...

What a neat weekend to spend with your family. You are a lucky family!

Leslie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kateka said...

Oh my good heck! I had no idea you've been blogging it up!! Ha, ha. I love it. Yes! We need to play this instant. I am going to go and just read your entire blog this very moment. You are so darling.

Leslie said...

Chelsea? How are you? My wife stumbled across your blog looking for somone else. It looks like a lot has happened since I last saw you! Where are you at now?
Nicholas

Jadie said...

Did you ever think when we were little that "family" would mean so much! Family is the best!
I love your pictures!